Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Joys of Condo Living




It is actually rainy here in Southern California today. I am resting and enjoying that all 3 childern are napping. I am enjoying something else too--that I live in a small condo. The reason: Less Cleaning! Although our home in Kansas City was not large by many standards, it always felt like there was some housework to be done. I still have housework, but with a home half the size, the housework has been cut considerably as well. Plus, because it is so small, I cannot do much cleaning without waking up all my kids during nap anyways. Hopefully, this will mean more time to do other needed things like rest, spend time with Jesus, make dinner, stay caught up on laundry (I am actually caught up currently which for those friends who saw my basement mountain of laundry in Kansas City, this may come as a shock).
Many friends have been asking how we have things set up with 3 kids in a one bedroom condo. We ripped out the shelving of our walk-in closet and set up the girls bunk-bed in it. We managed to put a little shelving back in to hang up some clothes. There are no windows (obviously) in the closet and curtains over the door way which means great naps and longer sleeping in the morning (yeah! more sleep). The only down fall is that their "closet bedroom" is directly across from the bathroom so any bathroom visits during nap time must be done in stealth mode with absolutely no flushing. I put Caleb's cradle in our bedroom and he is sleeping quite well there. I have taken advantage of nearly every place for storage that I could think of in our 680 sq feet: containers under our bed serve as the linen closet, the trundle under the girls' bed is where Dave and I store our clothes that don't fit in the dresser, our night stand dresser has become Caleb's dresser and the balcony had become the playroom (which works our great except on rare rainy days like today).
Lucy misses the freedom of the backyard and frequently escapes from our condo when the door is opened. Last week she escaped and Caleb was sleeping so I could not chase after her; I didn't worry about it because she generally comes back on her own. Then, I checked my messages to discover that she had charged up to one of our neighbors who was out walking her dog and the neighbor was calling the pound if we didn't come to get her right away! Yikes! So, we take off looking for her (I was still in my PJ's, no bra and teeth unbrushed), but it was too late, the animal control already had her in custody! They fined us because she is not spade, but thankfully gave us a fix-it ticket for not having her registered here yet (we did just move here 3 weeks ago). I think the gal had mercy on my seeing my state--PJ's, baby, ect.. This is definitely not Missouri.
I am finally winding down after a steady 3 months of high gear (not to mention the month of child birth/new baby before that). It feels so good to just relax for a minute. My dear friend Jill


from Charlotte is visiting this week and made it my goal to be mostly unpacked by the time she arrived. I reached my goal even though it meant not even going to the beach once since we moved. This week, weather permitting, I might actually get some sand between my toes.

Well, there is a little guy here waking up and needing to nurse.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are blogging Julia. You will have plenty of funny things to say in the months to come I'm sure of it. I am praying for your little sweet time in your home and for your kids too. Can they come play soon? Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, we all miss you here, but I am glad to hear that you are settling into your new home a little. (yay especially for more sleep!) I love hearing about what's going on with you and look forward to reading your posts. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete