Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Month of Meatless Meals: Mushroom Frittata


"Any Man of Mine . . . If I cook him dinner and I burn it black, he better say, 'UMMM, I like it like that'." --Shania Twain

As we speak, I am having Pinto Bean Burger leftovers for lunch; I made a double recipe so I could have it for lunch the next day because I like it so much. Last night I tried a new recipe, Mushroom Frittata. I think this recipe would have been great if I didn't burn it. Any recipe that calls for cooking with high heat really needs my undivided attention which is hard to give anything with 3 small children and my husband swarming around me. I was doing fine until I turned off my microwave timer to thaw out some bread; I burned the top under the broiler, but it was still pretty good and Dave even liked it. I will definitely try this recipe again and share it because it is so simple and comes together quickly. I served it with whole wheat toast and a garden salad.

If you don't mushrooms, you could substitute another veggie for them, just make sure you saute the veggies first. Also, you could substitute another fresh herb for the fresh thyme, but I don't know how dried thyme would work--probably not as much flavor because this cooks so quickly. I used a mix of baby bella mushrooms and button mushrooms instead of a wild mush room mix (they didn't have it at the store and I figured this was cheaper anyways).

MUSHROOM FRITTATA (from Cooking Light Mag)
This vegetarian entrée is ideal for a light breakfast or brunch, but can also be served for dinner paired with a simple side salad.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
Ingredients
The 5 Ingredients:
1 (8-ounce) package exotic mushroom blend
1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
3 large egg whites
2 large eggs
Preparation
Preheat broiler. Heat an 8-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Place mushrooms in a medium bowl; cool slightly. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Combine mushrooms, cheese, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon salt, egg whites, and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Heat pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushroom mixture; cook, covered, for 3 minutes or until almost set. Broil 3 minutes or until egg is set. Cut into 4 wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment